Wan Jaugung: go to bed

Confucius admired Jaugung (or the Duke of Chou, circa 1122 B.C.), who established rules and customs for the people in the Chou dynasty.  Even as he slept, Confucius dreamed about Jaugung.  Therefore, the expression wan Jaugung means "to go to bed." 


Dreams are the unconscious windows into our soul, according to Carl Jung.  My recent ones center around stress.  A recurring dream involves returning to college unprepared.  I panic as I wrestle with an exam, my mind blank.  In reality, though, I take wonderful online extension courses.  In them, I glean wisdom from my professors and participate in a global writing community.  Rough dreams also interrupted my sleep while preparing for my interview with Kyle Robinson .  (He's interested in speaking with writers and posting their interviews on a monthly basis.  Please contact him if you'd like to participate.)  My own Q/A session should appear May 20th on his blog, In the Demon's Head.


I wish I could return to my childhood when even tense kung fu movies translated into beautiful dreams.  (If you haven't seen the Wong Fei Hung series starring Jet Li, check it out.)  Classic martial arts films, though, depict sword-wielding warriors using limitless leaps a la Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  In answer to Friendship Friday, my nighttime childhood memories involved acting as a mighty heroine, flying across vast stretches of sky.   

Comments (8)

On May 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM , Yona said...

Hello!

I have seen the Jet Li movies you speak of - at least two of them, if not all three. And, I love Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The vivid color and imagery of that film is beautiful - I bet those were awesome dreams you had as a child.

Im stopping by from Friendship Friday - thanks for sharing.

Yona from Yona Writes
http://artpark78.com/blog1

 
On May 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM , Jennifer Chow said...

Thanks for stopping by, Yona!

 
On May 12, 2012 at 5:17 AM , Kenya G. Johnson said...

I will have to check out the Kung Fu series for my son this summer. He asked me if I knew any good Kung Fu movies. Thanks for the recommendation. He is seven and completing the 1st grade. Is he too young still for the Wong Fei Hung Series? I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but I'll have to check the rating on that one.

 
On May 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM , Jennifer Chow said...

The Wong Fei Hung series are R-rated. I think I would try for something lighter... maybe one of the later Jackie Chan films?

 
On May 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM , Muddy said...

Your photograph of the sky is beautiful...as is your "Fortune Cookie Life." I love that tidbit! Looking forward to the Kyle Robinson interview!

 
On May 14, 2012 at 9:39 PM , Jennifer Chow said...

Thank you, Muddy. I'm excited about the interview, too.

 
On May 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM , Lauri Meyers said...

As usual your post gave me eight ideas! I love taking this Chinese sayings class.

 
On May 18, 2012 at 2:01 PM , Jennifer Chow said...

Hi Lauri,
Great! Maybe I'll read some of the new ideas on your blog soon.