Egg Tart, or dan tat: circular pastries characterized by an egg custard middle and pie-like crust on the outside


 Egg tarts are, hands down, my favorite part of dim sum. I was distraught when I missed it twice in a row this past Chinese New Year's. These delicious egg pastries come in two kinds:

-Original: A thicker, heavy crust that surrounds the soft inside 
-Crispy: A delicate crust that flakes off at the slightest touch (my preferred version)

If you're ever in the Hawaii area, you can find the delectable treat here.

Comments (6)

On April 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM , Anonymous said...

Egg tarts are da bomb! Light, not overly sweet. Yum!

 
On April 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM , Jennifer Chow said...

I know, huh? Thanks for dropping by, Amy!

 
On April 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM , Romelle Broas said...

I just learned that dan tat means yummy from Lara Britt. Didn't realize the custards come in 2 kinds. I learn something every day.

 
On April 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM , Jennifer Chow said...

Dan tat = yummy :)

 
On April 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM , Thomas Lee said...

Or maybe a third kind - the Portuguese dahn tat?

 
On April 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM , Jennifer Chow said...

Mmm, I've had those, too--I'd lump it into the thicker version, though.