I have an extra post this week because I’m doing a blog hop called, “Writers Tell All.”





Thanks to Romelle Broas for tagging me in this fun challenge! Here are my comments on the writing process:

Question 1: What are you working on?
  • Releasing my debut novel, The 228 Legacy, on August 1st
  • Polishing a cozy mystery featuring an Asian-American sleuth investigating a senior home
  • Editing a previously shelved manuscript
Question 2: How does your writing process work?
  1. I look around for inspiration in my daily life. When an image, a phrase, or a theme sticks, I’ll expand on it.  
  2. I do a general outline and conduct my research. Then I’ll write it out, often using more detailed chapter outlines. Afterwards, I revise for several rounds.
  3. My story gets feedback from my critique group, and I’ll change things based on their responses.
  4. I’ll read it again, looking for flow issues. I also line-edit it.  
  5. Then I send off my polished manuscript and hope for the best.
Question 3: Who are the authors you most admire?

Amy Tan – She really brought Asian-American fiction to the public eye.
Lisa See – I admire her ability to conduct extensive research and weave in historical facts into a compelling plot.
Kazuo Ishiguro -  His versatility is amazing, and I love how his books are a commentary about the world around us.

Now it's my turn to tag 3 people. Please check out their blogs. Who knows what you’ll find when writers tell all?

3.    Gerry Wilson


Comments (5)

On July 27, 2013 at 6:35 AM , Gerry said...

Thanks for the tag, Jennifer! I needed a kick in the pants and will post. I enjoyed reading about what you're doing. And congrats on the book release! That's amazing.

 
On July 27, 2013 at 6:38 AM , Jennifer Chow said...

Thanks, Gerry! I'm interested in knowing what you're working on now.

 
On July 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM , Unknown said...

How exciting, your book releases soon. Congratulations and keep us posted.

I like the idea of finding out about the writing process from writers in different stages.

 
On July 28, 2013 at 3:29 AM , Romelle Broas said...

Thanks, Jennifer, for playing along! I enjoyed learning your writing process and what you've been up to. Congrats on your upcoming novel! And I wish you well on your other W.I.P. sounds intriguing!

 
On July 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM , Jennifer Chow said...

Thanks for dropping, guys! It's so fun to learn what people are doing.